The company works with geospatial data at scale, using machine learning and computer vision to pioneer a new form of property information, built specifically for the organizations that finance, protect, and invest in homes, properties and businesses. They solve real problems and their product is validated by the market and they have more than 50 clients already. Due to the true innovation of their product, they are backed by a number of leading venture firms and insurers. The company has a great product-market fit, solid revenue, and recently raised a big investment round. The company is growing quickly and they need an experienced Director of Data Science for the next phase.
The teams work with geospatial data at scale, applying machine learning to solve real problems for different industries. As a Director of Data Science, you will manage the Data Scientists and Computer Vision/Machine Learning engineers and collaborate with Data Engineers, Software Engineers, Product, and Sales teams to build the offering of robust, scalable machine learning models further. The balance will be 70% people management and 30% technical. As a senior member of the team, you will also participate in brainstorming and establishing Tech and Product roadmaps. Your scope of work will be to supervise major projects and provides technical leadership to stakeholders, make timely strategic decisions on complicated and ambiguous technical problems, evaluation of personnel performance, headcount planning, hiring and assist in Sprint planning and quarterly planning and long-term technical vision. They build their models using Pytorch and Tensorflow, and leverage Python, React, node.js, Spark and Postgres across their AWS cloud infrastructure, including ECS, RDS, Elasticache, Lambda and Athena. Cloud automation leverages Terraform, Jenkins, Python scripts.
– Min 10 years technical experience from which min 5 years managing teams of min 10 people.
– Track record of effective technical leadership, with a strong display of setting technical direction.
– Success in hiring, growing and retaining engineers of all experience levels.
– A deep understanding of ML models and processes and how to adjust them for different stages of growth.
– Strong Technical background is required, but it’s not an individual contributor role. Strong background in at least one general-purpose programming(Python)
– Solid knowledge of statistical techniques, including hypothesis testing, statistical sampling, significance testing, statistical inference, maximum likelihood estimation, and experimental design, among others.
– Mastery of, supervised and unsupervised algorithms and their implementations, machine learning concepts including regularization, learning curves, optimizing hyperparameters, cross-validation, among others.
– Exposure to successful companies going through rapid growth. Familiarity with American startup culture is a plus.
– Excellent communication skills: Able to effectively communicate in a clear, concise manner with experience communicating technical issues to cross-functional groups.
– Fluent English
– Salary based on experience, but very competitive
– Stock options package on top
– The office in Europe is in Munich and there’s a hybrid model for home office.
– Working in a fast-scaling environment
– Working with diverse data science, machine learning, engineering and product teams
If you would like to hear more, please let me know and we can arrange a convenient time to speak. A CV with your experience would be nice to send over to us. I’m available at Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org or +4930 217 800 71. Below is also a link to my calendar where you’re welcome to book a convenient time for you directly. https://calendly.com/richard-straub
Looking forward to hearing from you!